Dipa Karmakar, born on August 9, 1993, is a highly accomplished female gymnast from India, currently 30 years old. Dipa Karmakar, hailing from the state of Tripura in India, is a prominent Indian gymnast who embarked on her formal gymnastics journey at the tender age of six. Her roots trace back to the Agartala district of Tripura, where her incredible gymnastic talents began to blossom. Over the years, she has accumulated numerous medals and achievements, although her dreams of participating in the Olympics were hindered by persistent injuries.
Dipa Karmakar Biography, Height, Age, Husband, Family, & More
In July 2018, Karmakar achieved a historic milestone as the first Indian artistic gymnast to secure a gold medal. Her incredible energy and unique gymnastic style immediately caught the judges’ attention. Prior to her fourth-place finish at the Rio Olympic Games, Indian gymnastics had been largely overlooked as a medal-worthy discipline. Dipa Karmakar’s compassion is evident in her willingness to extend a helping hand to those in need. Despite starting her gymnastics journey with flat feet and what some might consider unfavorable physical attributes, her dedication, and talent have propelled her to incredible fame in India’s gymnastics scene.
Karmakar was a part of India’s gymnastics contingent at the 2010 Commonwealth Games held in Delhi. During this event, she keenly observed the performance of Ashish Kumar, who clinched India’s first-ever gymnastics medal at the Commonwealth Games, leaving a lasting impression on the young and aspiring gymnast. Her journey into the spotlight commenced when she secured a bronze medal at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, signifying a significant milestone in her gymnastic career.
Dipa Karmakar hails from a Hindu Bengali family. Her father, Dulal Karmakar, worked as a weightlifting coach at the Sports Authority of India and held high aspirations for Dipa in the field of sports. Her mother is named Geeta Karmakar, and she shares a close bond with her sister, Puja Saha, who has been her best friend since childhood.
During this period, she concurrently attended Kripali Academy School as a 7th-grade student and completed her school education there. Her early schooling took place at Abhoyanahar Nazrul Smriti Vidyalaya in Agartala. She subsequently pursued her Bachelor of Arts at a women’s college in Agartala and later completed her MA in Political Science at Women’s College, Agartala.
|School||Agartala’s Abhoynagar Nazrul Smriti Vidyalaya|
|College/University||Women’s College, Agartala|
|Educational Qualification(s)||• Bachelor of Arts
• MA in Political Science
Her Early Life
Dipa Karmakar was born on August 9, 1993, in Agartala, Tripura, into a middle-class family. Her educational journey began at Ashoknagar Nazrul Smriti Vidyalaya in Agartala. She embarked on her gymnastics journey at the tender age of 6, under the guidance of coaches Soma Nandi and Bishweshwar Nandi, a partnership that continues to this day. Dipa’s early gymnastics journey was remarkable, considering she had flat feet, which is considered less than ideal for a gymnast due to its impact on performance. At the age of nine, she represented India in the Commonwealth Youth Games in Manchester, England. With diligent training, she managed to develop an arch in her foot, a crucial improvement for her gymnastics.
Dipa Karmakar launched her gymnastics career in 2011, representing Tripura at the National Games of India. She achieved significant success in July 2014 during the Commonwealth Games, where she secured a bronze medal in the women’s vault final. Her remarkable performance was largely attributed to her Produnova vault, which carried a difficulty value of 7.00. This achievement earned her recognition at the Commonwealth Games felicitation ceremony, where she was honored by none other than Sachin Tendulkar.
Schedule and 2016 Olympics results
In her early gymnastics years, Dipa faced the challenge of having flat feet, a condition known to impact gymnastic performance negatively. However, her dedication and meticulous planning of her diet, physical activities, and rigorous training paid off as she successfully developed arched feet. Karmakar continued to shine, earning bronze medals in the Asian Gymnastics Championship and the World Artistic Gymnastics Championships. Throughout her career, Dipa Karmakar consistently excelled in various competitions, amassing medals and accolades. She proceeded to qualify for the Rio Olympics in 2016, setting an inspiring example for aspiring gymnasts in India.
- Arjuna Award (2015)
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award (2016)
- Padma Shri (2017) – fourth highest Indian national honor.
- Dronacharya Award – to her coach Bishweshwar Nandi.
- 2017: Among Forbes’ list of super achievers from Asia under the age of 30.
- Gold – FIG Inventive Gymnastics World Problem Cup at Mersin, Turkey
- Bronze – FIG Artistic Gymnastics World Cup at Cottbus, Germany
Dipa Karmakar has enjoyed the backing of the GoSports Foundation through the Rahul Dravid Athlete Mentorship Programme since 2017.
Dipa Karmakar stands at a height of 1.50 meters and has a weight of 50 kilograms.
Dipa Karmakar is an Indian artistic gymnast with a reported net worth of $1.3 billion.
- Dipa Karmakar stands as a celebrated Indian athlete who has carved a path of remarkable success in the field of gymnastics.
- What sets her journey apart is her early struggle with a profound fear of falling, a significant obstacle for any gymnast, particularly when it comes to performing on the challenging balance beam.
- The balance beam is renowned for its level of difficulty, and Dipa’s initial fear of it presented a formidable challenge.
- However, through sheer determination, she overcame this fear and emerged as a Bronze Medal Winner at the Asian Artistic Gymnastics Championships in 2014, a prestigious event held in Incheon, South Korea.
- This achievement marked a turning point in her career, demonstrating her indomitable spirit and dedication.
- Dipa Karmakar’s extraordinary performances in gymnastics have not only made her a standout talent but also a beacon of hope and inspiration for the nation.
- Her rigorous training regimen, involving more than seven hours of practice daily, showcases her commitment to mastering her craft.
- Her inclusion in the Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS) by the Sports Ministry of India, along with substantial funding of INR 30 lakhs, reflects the nation’s belief in her potential to achieve greatness.
Social Media Account
|Hobbies||Cooking, Listening to Music, Watching Films|
Also Check: Jothimani Sennimalai
|Birth Place||Agartala, Tripura|
|Height In CM||150 CM|
|Height In Meter||1.50 M|
|Parents||Father: Dulal Karmakar (Weight Lifting Coach at SAI) Mother: Gita Karmakar|
|Siblings||Brother: None Sister: Puja Karmakar|
If you have any question, please write below.